Thursday, April 9, 2015

Goats Galore

Up until last year I could tell you, usually within a few hours, exactly when the goats would kid.  Then last year Pickles and Lily just shot out their kids before I could even get them into a kidding stall.

This year, the Boers didn't fail to stump me.  Both Dilly and Clover popped out their kids without me even wondering if they were ready.  And both gals were early; Dilly by three days and Clover by six.

Because of the Boer's early kidding, I've been on close watch with Lily for the past week, both day and night.  Not a lot of sleep happening around here lately, especially during the stormy nights.  And nothing.

Lily's had a little bit of goo going on for the past seven plus days, but still nothing.  She's also been having labored breathing while laying down, but heck, who wouldn't have trouble breathing when you've got that huge belly on you, pressing up against your stomach and lungs.  Twice now I swore that she was in labor, but I guess it was just her being darned uncomfortable while prone.  Both Lily and MamaGoat were due on April 2nd.

Then right before the big storm system came through, I would have bet money that Annette was in labor.  She was laying down in the new "go to" spot for kidding under the new shed and grunting a lot.  I thought it was early labor pains, but now I'm thinking it was just from being so  uncomfortable.  It seemed every time she yacked (or whatever you call it) up her cud to chew, she would groan and strain a bit.  But I guess that all that baby on her gut makes cud chewing and digestion more difficult.  The nights wore on and no hard labor signs and this morning no sign of goat babies from either Lily or Annette.

So imagine my utter surprise when I went out to the goat area on Friday to feed the ingrates.  Standing right next to Pyewacket were two little baby goats.  Dried off and nursing.  I had just checked on her hours earlier and didn't see the slightest sign of labor.  No puffy behind, no sunken-in look, no goo, no grunting.  Not a stinking sign.
Babies, BOOM!
Then Saturday morning greeted me with the screams of goat labor.  MamaGoat, who was due the day before, popped out a cute little buckling.
Buckling, BAM!
Annette went into labor on Monday, a day early, and had a buckling and doeling.  I was able to catch her right before she popped and got her in the kidding pen.  Another Easy Peasy kidding!

Annette's kids (buckling on the left, doeling on the right).
Sharon and I took a break from farm chores and went into town for a bit.  When we pulled back into the driveway, Ben (Sharon's son) was waving us down; there was another goat baby!  Paul and Ben supervised and helped Lira deliver a buckling and teeny-tiny doeling.  Both were up and nursing fairly quickly but they don't seem to be as lively as Annette's kids who were born only four hours earlier.
Black headed Boers.  Where did THAT come from?!
So now I'm still waiting on Lily.  Which I now realize was bred twice last Fall, just like the year before.  And she kidded on her second breeding date.  So she's either one week late or still has two weeks to go.  And when she's done, kidding season will finally be over.  For this year anyways.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, they are so cute. I don't know how you do it either. I have trouble with just the two in milk, and three kids romping around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're keeping a detailed score card . . . or ribbons tying babies to mothers! What a menagerie!!! Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn,

    You now have your hands full, lol.......
    They're adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can you stand all that cuteness! So, darest I ask how many goats you have now -- and more to come?

    ReplyDelete