Friday, November 14, 2014

AAUGH!!


I put an ad in the local FB page for Herman, our stinky, horned, jerk buck Boer goat.  He's bred the mothers and their daughters and it's time to introduce some new DNA in the herd.

About a week and a half ago, I got a message from someone that wanted him and didn't even want to finagle with the price.  I told them that they could come pick him up on Sunday and I did a little jig.  Then, come Saturday morning, I noticed that Herman was limping.  Shit.  I mean, really, Herman?!  The day before you're set to get shipped out of here you mess up your leg?  The Universe hates me.

So I called the lady who wanted him and told her.  I didn't see any obvious trauma, scrapes, cuts or something that would give away why he was limping so I figured the big dufus just got it caught in the fence during his 24/7 running of the fence line to oogle the girls.  I told her that I wouldn't feel comfortable selling him until he was back to normal and we agreed that I'd call her back when he wasn't limping any more.  By Tuesday he was back to running the fence line without any signs of limping, gimping or being out of step so I called the lady and she said that they'd come by Friday (today) afternoon to pick him up.

Well, this morning I got a FB message.  That they won't be coming today.  Or tomorrow.  Or the next week.  They are just going to wait until spring to get their buck.  The Universe most definitely hates me.

I mean, I was so ready to get rid of his stinky ass.  I even wrote a poem celebrating his departure to use as today's blog post.  But alas, it will stay in my Blogger "Draft" section now.  I'd take him to the "local" goat / sheep sale, but it looks like slaughter bucks are only getting $80 - $90 and at that price it's not worth the diesel fuel and time / bother to do it.  So I may just put out another ad asking $80 or $90 for him just to get him out of here.  It's just such a pain in the rear to take care of a separate animal in the winter.  More water to haul (and farther away), more ice to chip, more hay to pitch, more grain to feed.  And if it weren't for the fact that I have serious concerns about the stink-factor, I'd say we'd butcher him and put him in the freezer.  Has anyone ever butchered a buck before?  Will all that sink permeate into the meat or is it just icky when you have to skin him?  Inquiring minds want to know.

8 comments:

  1. DON'T DO IT!!! You butcher that buck goat and try to cook the meat, you'll have to burn the house down to get rid of the stench! Seriously...the meat will be inedible. Only way to get edible (but tough) meat off a fully mature buck: Castrate him and wait 90 days minimum before slaughtering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for the info........can I assume you've done this before?! :)

      Delete
    2. Ditto. Daughters boer buck tore up his sheath somehow. Vat repaired him enough to relieve himself, but wouldn't be able to service, so she had the vet castrate him at the time of repair. Withdrawal time for the meds used was 3-4 months, so that's how long he lived I the horse trailer

      Delete
  2. We've never butchered a full-grown odoriferous buck ourselves, but have always heard the meat from such animal will be tainted. I sure wouldn't risk it.

    What a total (TOTAL!) bummer that he developed that "limp" at that very inopportune time that he did! (Geesh, Carolyn, I think the Universe hates you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been told by my daughter that the meat will not be good in a male goat that still has his "goods." I've never butchered one, but I would go with "Lamb's" suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about goat bucks, but I know the *first* thing you do after you kill a deer buck, right there in the field, is castrate it so the flavor of the meat doesn't get tainted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much for 'dumb' animal, right? He knew what you were planning, obviously. I have found that only one out of ten people actually follow through with their promise. Most have this "oh, I have to be the first one to get the (x)" whether they want it or not. I am very jaded about this....I do hope you can find someone who will be able to use him - he obviously does his 'job'. Maybe you should post him with pictures of some of his offspring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!!!!!! Total buck taste! And like Lamb said, you'll have to burn your house down to get that smell out of it. I made butter from milk that was from a doe who was running with a buck. The butter tasted like buck. I found this out after I started to cook with it. I was ready to burn house and contents because of the smell that permeated the house. Don't do it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete